Catalyst

The Student News Site of Carver Center

Catalyst

Catalyst

Music’s Influence on Young Minds and Bodies

Music, a universal language, goes beyond age, culture, and background. Its impact on the mental and physical well-being of young audiences is profound, a sense of comfort is built, there’s room for emotional and physical expression, etc. Overall, music has a powerful impact on the wellness of youth.

For many young individuals, music is an emotional sanctuary. It provides a soundtrack to their lives, resonating with their joys, sorrows, and everything in between. The DIM prime at Carver Center focuses on the performance and creation of music. When DIM students, Nathaniel, Isaiah, Renxian, were asked how music influences their mental and/or physical wellbeing, they had this to say:

When DIM students, Renxian, Isaiah, and Nathaniel, were asked how music influences their mental and/or physical wellbeing, they had this to say:

“Music makes me happier and I listen to it a lot during classes to make them more bearable.” – Renxian

“It helps me cheer up and focus on work, it also helps me calm down especially when I listen to something heavier, like death metal and pop punk makes me happy.” – Nathaniel

“I listen to electronic or indie music which I think is really unique so it hypes my mood.” – Isaiah

It’s been proven that music can significantly reduce stress and anxiety levels, leading to a calmer, more focused state of mind. The release of dopamine during musical enjoyment promotes feelings of happiness and contentment, which is crucial during the formative years of emotional development.

The influence of music extends beyond mental health, tapping into the physical realm of health. Upbeat music can stimulate the body, encouraging movement and exercise, which are essential for physical development. Additionally, the soothing properties of certain melodies can aid in the regulation of heart rate and blood pressure, contributing to cardiovascular health. DIM students don’t believe that their favorite artists have an impact on them, but they do believe that music is a comfort for them.

All DIM students know how to play an instrument for their prime. The DIM students started playing instruments and have continued playing up until their high school years. 

“In second grade, I was asked to play an instrument and I wanted to play the recorder, but I didn’t know what it was called so I played the flute.” – Renxian

“In fifth grade, I joined my school’s band and I’ve been playing in multiple bands ever since.” – Nathaniel

“In fifth grade, I got the option to play an instrument. I wanted to play the drums, but my parents said they were too expensive so I played violin.” – Isaiah