Catalyst

The Student News Site of Carver Center

Catalyst

Catalyst

Underrated Students

Underrated+Students

Carver Celebration is an event hosted at the Carver Center that commemorates all of the primes through different presentations as well as interactive areas that relate to some of the primes. However, several of those who performed for the occasion were dissatisfied. Some of the acting juniors are conflicted about a performance. Some people believed they were seen, while others felt they weren’t.

The junior actors waited a few days to find their screenplay (Madea’s Diary of a Mad Black Woman) for the Carver Celebration. And because the scene was just 10 minutes long and comprised four distinct persons, it didn’t take long for them to memorize it. Aleeza remarked that because her screenplay was so brief, it only took her a day to learn it. While for Eric it took roughly an hour. On the day of the event, they checked in and set up. After that, some went exploring and seeing the many exhibits and stations, while others stayed at the black box.

However, before they began, some members of the audience left because there were underclassmen performing a scenario that was far too sophisticated for them. The tactics and expertise they were attempting to employ were only taught in junior year! Not to mention certain timing issues that made them appear unprofessional. As a result, people left, but they also left because another show was taking place in the theater. 

It brought in numerous perspectives with those elements in mind. Laila believed that because everyone was naturally drawn to the theater, every performance should have taken place there. Despite the fact that the theater was drawing attention, the performances in the black box were not receiving much attention. While some were irritated by the absence of crucial elements of theater. Some, on the other hand, were simply pleased to demonstrate their talent to the world. I believe that this should be used as a learning experience for improved event organizing so that everyone may witness different acts and that those performances receive an equal number of people.